Monday, February 16, 2009
Friday, February 13, 2009
Started out at 9 AM cleaning the kids bathroom. It was a mess!...and can I tell you that I hate boys - especially boys who don't hit the toilet water when they are peeing? ...oh yeah and who don't empty the tub water when they take a bath with the babysitter? and who smear toothpaste all over the sink and counter top. Okay that took a while.
Next I went to my room. Now, my room is a MESS. I haven't cleaned it since before Thanksgiving so (believe me I will spare you pictures)...I started with going through my closet and my bureau drawers and taking out all of the (now) too big (YEAH!) clothes that I had accumulated over the last 2 years since I last was successful with weight watchers. There ended up being one GIANT - overfilled - stuffed to the gills garbage bag for me to bring to Good Will. It feels good to get rid of it. My closet was in complete disarray...really since this summer and all of the painting. The contractor had just moved everything into my closet and knocked everything onto the floor. You'll be happy to hear that I now can walk into the closet and actually pick out clothes.
Next I moved to all of the kids "junk" that has come into my room and removed all of my sheets, rotated my mattress and put new sheets on and washed and replaced my comforter. I then turned to my bathroom. Can I tell you how much I hate boys - especially boys who don't hit the toilet water when they are peeing? Okay...I'll spare you the details a second time! Also, we usually use my tub for baths and there was dried soap scum all over the floor and tub surround. I threw out two garbage bags full of dirty ripped kids clothes, random papers and dried out markers.
Meanwhile I came across a recipe for English Muffins and made 20 whole wheat English muffins.
Finally, I put a LOT and I mean a LOT of laundry on and started folding. It's 4:27 and I think I will have all but one load folded by the time I have to leave to go pick up the kids. And that is mainly my clothes, so I plan on having that done by the end of the day. I think I might have a clean room by the time I go to bed tonight.
We have a 3 day weekend because the school is off for President's Day and the daycare is taking it as a Teacher Education Day. We will do some cleaning each of the days to bring the house back into control. Saturday, we will go to a VCU Women's Basketball game.
...we had Logan's Princess birthday party the weekend of the 24th. Twenty kids, 7 parents and lots of fun and food. I got my house cleaned just in time. The girls in attendance loved the dress up station, the make your own wand station, the Princes Playdoh - complete with sparkles to mix into the Pink and Purple colored home-made Doh. The boys liked the swords and swordfighting, the Pin the "S" on Superman game, the Pinata, and the Cannon ball fight. Everyone liked the chicken nuggest and tater tots and, of course, cake. (unfortunately, I was so busy making sure everyone was involved in some activity or other, I didn't get any pictures...)
...so, for Addison's party we went a little lower key. She LOVED getting presents and has told me each day for the last 4 days that it's "MY BIRT-DAY"...unfortunately, it isn't her birthday everyday. We went to Red Robin with Wendy and Pat and they sang to her and brought her a sundae...she told everyone the next day who asked her about her birthday..."I like ice cream!" I got this cool doll at Target (and it was on sale 50% off) - it is a doll who either laughs or crys. When you push it's belly it giggles. When you push the back, it cries and it's cheeks get red (running a temperature)...if you put a thermometer in it's mouth it stops crying (or if you put the pacifier in its mouth)...it has a medicine spoon and she makes slurping sounds and then her fever goes away! She loves the baby (and so do all of the other kids who have been playing doctor to her).
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Seems like a big deal - right? for yogurt right? Well, with my trying to do the WeightWatchers thing, they want you to have two 8-ounce glasses of skim milk a day. I - AM - NOT a milk drinker but I do like to have yogurt on my cereal. Well, two of those cups of yogurt a day can be pretty expensive and ... 1/2 gallon of milk is (relatively) cheap.
Here's the secret recipe...
Totally Gelled Non-Fat Yogurt
- 1/2 gallon of nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup of powdered non fat milk
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c non-fat yogurt (from the store - with active cultures - this acts as your starter)
- (1/2 cup of splenda baking sweetner)
- (1 tablespoon of vanilla)
- Pour milk into crock pot and turn on low for 3 hours - 3 1/2 hours (this kills bad bacteria)
- Stir in 1/2 cup of powdered non fat milk and sprinkle package of gelatin on top
- Once it warms up the milk, stir several times during the heating process to distribute the gelatin
- Turn off crock pot and allow it to cool for 3 hours (or to temp of 90 degrees)
- After it is cooled, take out approximately 2 cups and put into a clean bowl and whisk in the yogurt starter and then add it back to the crockpot
- Stir the mixture well
- Cover the crockpot and then unplug it and cover the entire thing with a towel +/or a blanket to keep the cultures warm while they are working
- Leave undisturbed for 12-14 hours
- Once the 12-14 hours are up, uncover and be amazed!!!
Once you make it, you can put it into different containers. Save 1/2 cup to use as starter for you next batch! You can use the yogurt you make as starter about 6-7 times then it gets a little stale so you will have to buy another 1/2 cup yogurt at the store.
- 10 -Kraft 2% shredded cheese packages - on sale for $1.99 (- $0.50 each) and "surprise" there was a coupon machine right by them for $0.75 off each bag - so I got each bag for $0.74
- 3 lunch meat for $2.99 (-$0.50 each)
- 5 Armor Meatballs for $2.99 (-0.50 each)
- 6 Tostino Pizza Rolls for $2.99 (-0.50 each) with a surprise coupon machine for $1.00 off 2
- 6 Steamer vegetables for $1.99 (-0.50 each) with 2 $1.00 off one coupons and 2 $0.50 off of 2 coupons which were then doubled.
So, I spent $40.41 and based on sales prices and the deals, I saved $54.11.