Seems like a big deal - right? for yogurt right? Well, with my trying to do the WeightWatchers thing, they want you to have two 8-ounce glasses of skim milk a day. I - AM - NOT a milk drinker but I do like to have yogurt on my cereal. Well, two of those cups of yogurt a day can be pretty expensive and ... 1/2 gallon of milk is (relatively) cheap.
Here's the secret recipe...
Totally Gelled Non-Fat Yogurt
- 1/2 gallon of nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup of powdered non fat milk
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c non-fat yogurt (from the store - with active cultures - this acts as your starter)
- (1/2 cup of splenda baking sweetner)
- (1 tablespoon of vanilla)
- Pour milk into crock pot and turn on low for 3 hours - 3 1/2 hours (this kills bad bacteria)
- Stir in 1/2 cup of powdered non fat milk and sprinkle package of gelatin on top
- Once it warms up the milk, stir several times during the heating process to distribute the gelatin
- Turn off crock pot and allow it to cool for 3 hours (or to temp of 90 degrees)
- After it is cooled, take out approximately 2 cups and put into a clean bowl and whisk in the yogurt starter and then add it back to the crockpot
- Stir the mixture well
- Cover the crockpot and then unplug it and cover the entire thing with a towel +/or a blanket to keep the cultures warm while they are working
- Leave undisturbed for 12-14 hours
- Once the 12-14 hours are up, uncover and be amazed!!!
Once you make it, you can put it into different containers. Save 1/2 cup to use as starter for you next batch! You can use the yogurt you make as starter about 6-7 times then it gets a little stale so you will have to buy another 1/2 cup yogurt at the store.